LAKE PLACID, NY — The next installment of the Adirondack Film Society (AFS) Screening Series at the Lake Placid Center for the Arts (LPCA) brings A Quiet Passion, in which Cynthia Nixon, who is probably best known for her work in the film and TV versions of Sex in the City, delivers a triumphant performance as the great American poet Emily Dickinson. The film will be screened Friday and Saturday, October 20-21, at 7 p.m. Tickets are $10 and are available online at lakeplacidarts.org or by calling the Box Office at 518-523-2512.
In her portrayal of Dickinson, Ms. Nixon personifies the wit, intellectual independence and pathos of the poet, whose genius only came to be recognized after her death. Celebrated British director Terence Davies (House of Mirth, The Deep Blue Sea) exquisitely evokes the poet’s deep attachment to her close-knit family along with the manners, mores and spiritual convictions of her time that she struggled with and transcended in her poetry.
The film reunites Davies, who also wrote the screenplay, with his Deep Blue Sea cinematographer Florian Hoffmeister to create a luminous rendering of Dickinson’s universe. The cast features Jennifer Ehle (Zero Dark Thirty, Pride and Prejudice), Duncan Duff and Keith Carradine.
To learn more about the AFS, please contact Operations Manager Fred Balzac at (518) 523-3456 or visit adirondackfilmsociety.org.
A “Drop-Dead Masterwork”
The critics are raving about A QUIET PASSION:
• A New York Times Critics’ Pick: “Visually gorgeous.” — A.O. Scott, The New York Times
• Critics’ Pick: “Lovely!” — Melissa Anderson, Village Voice
• “A fiercely intelligent, handsome and affecting rendering of Dickinson’s extraordinary, ordinary life.” — Lindsey Bahr, Associated Press
• “An absolute drop-dead masterwork.” — Richard Brody, The New Yorker
• “Cynthia Nixon is marvelous.” — Keith Ulrich, Slant
• “A richly idiosyncratic portrait of Emily Dickinson…played with steely wit and piercing vulnerability by Cynthia Nixon.” — Justin Chang, Los Angeles Times
• “One of the most unique and mesmerizing films of the year.” — Jordan Hoffman, Vanity Fair
• “Enrapturing! The work of a master craftsman.” — Ty Burr, The Boston Globe
“A QUIET PASSION” has a running time of 2 hours and 6 minutes and is rated PG-13.
About the LPCA
Nestled in an Olympic village, the Lake Placid Center for the Arts is a year-round treasure to residents and visitors of the Adirondacks and is the premier art and cultural hub of the region. Orchestrating quality programming, performances, rotating art exhibitions, and education experiences to residences and visitors alike, the LPCA provides an ensemble of offerings in music, theatre and dance, and supports local, regional and national artists in its Fine Arts Gallery. At the heart of this hub is hands-on learning experiences for children exploring their creativity and adults finding new passions. As a leading organization, the LPCA collaborates with other Adirondack non-profit partners to build, support and cultivate the arts community. Inspiring excellence in the arts for generations, the LPCA continues to thrive today at its unique and captivating Lake Placid campus.