Saranac Lake, NY – With a gorgeous backdrop at Heaven Hill Farm in Lake Placid, writers, readers, publishers, and friends joined for the celebration of all regional books published in 2017, as well as the announcement of the category winners. Following a warm welcome by Adirondack Center for Writing Executive Director Nathalie Thill, judges in each genre provided kind words and descriptions of each title submitted before announcing the year’s winners, including:
- Best Book of Children’s Literature: “Mommy, Baby and Me” by Linda Elovitz Marshall (Peter Pauper Press, Inc.)
- Best Book of Fiction: to “The Night is Done: A Durant Family Saga” by Sheila Myers (CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform)
- Best Memoir: “Barn Stories” by Mary Cuffe Perez (North Country Books)
- Best Book of Nonfiction: “Blacks in the Adirondacks: A History” by Sally E. Svenson (Syracuse University Press)
- Best Book of Poetry: “Body of Water” by Madeline Hennessey (RA Press)
- People’s Choice Award: “FM 101-5-1, Operational Terms and Graphics” by Paul David Adkins (Lit Riot Press, LLC)
- The Adirondack Center for Writing would love to extend a huge thank you to our category judges for their hard work including Joe Bruchac and Ellen Rocco in fiction, Jerry McGovern and Bibi Wein in nonfiction, Aimee Baker and Roger Mitchell in poetry, and Peggy Orman in children’s literature.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies” and with that in mind, we encourage everyone to grab a copy of the submitted local titles for your next summer read! The full list is available at www.adirondackcenterforwriting.org/2018-adirondack-literary-awards.